Call Your Dog… NOW!
Your dog won’t come when he is called which is not only frustrating but it can also be a safety risk. There are many easy things you can do to get a great recall and here is a very powerful exercise that will only take you seconds, described in the video below. Of course, you have to repeat it and repeat it so it becomes a habit for your dog.
“But then my dog will only come to me IF I have treats!”
Now I understand that you may have a very strong objection to using treats. It’s true that your dog may only come if you have treats IF you don’t train it correctly. Avoid that by doing the following:
- Don’t show your dog the treats before they get to you. If they don’t come, they just don’t get anything. (You’ll see what I mean in the video.)
- Over time, start giving the treats only every other time and then sporadically. Reward with HIGH praise, sometimes a toy or another reward instead.
- If your dog stops coming to you, that means you stopped rewarding with treats too soon. This takes weeks just like it would for you to develop a habit. So call –> reward –> call –> reward –> call –> continue this for at least 2 months. Then you can start reducing the treats if you get that instant recall.
“But my dog will get fat!”
No, your dog won’t get fat. Are mine fat? No.
Your dog won’t get fat because…
- You only give very very tiny treats. They don’t care about the size of the treat.
- You can use part of their regular food, lean chicken or string cheese or anything not too fattening but impossible to resist for your dog. There are lots of options. You can even make your own. Ask me if you need to.
- You are only doing this a couple times a day.
So if you dog is fat, this exercise will not be the reason.
“I don’t have time!”
Watch the video. It is 1 minute long and will show you that you don’t need any extra time to do this.
There are more little things you can do to really get a great recall and they are fun for you. Let me know if you are interested!
- Watch the video below.
- Set up your phone or tablet and take a video when you call your dog.
- Work on your dog’s recall using the exercise in the video for a week.
- Take another video.
- Let me see the difference! 🙂 You can post the video on youtube with #playtobehaverecall or send me the video through the contact page on this webiste.