Call Your Dog… NOW!
Your dog won’t come when he is called which is not only frustrating but it can also be a safety risk. There are so many easy things you can do to get a great recall and here is a very powerful exercise that will take you seconds, if that, in the video below. Of course, you have to repeat it and repeat it so it becomes a habit for your dog.
“But then my dog will only come to me IF I have treats!”
Now I understand that you may have a very strong objection to using treats. Many say, “But then my dog will only come to me IF I have treats!” That can be true. So, do the following:
- Don’t show your dog the treats before they get to you. If they don’t come, they just don’t get anything. You’ll see what I mean in the video.
- Over time, start giving the treats only every other time and then sporadically. If they stop coming to you, that means you stopped rewarding too soon. This takes weeks just like it would for you to develop a habit. So call –> reward, call –> reward, call –> goes on for at least 2 months. Then you can start reducing the treats if you get that instant recall.
“But my dog will get fat!”
No, your dog won’t get fat. Are mine fat? No. I am but that’s another story. 😉
Your dog won’t get fat because…
- You only give very very tiny treats. They don’t care about the size of the treat.
- You can use lean chicken or string cheese or anything not too fattening but impossible to resist for your dog. There are lots of options. You can even make your own. Ask me if you need to.
- You are only doing this a couple times a day.
So if you dog is fat, this exercise will not be the reason.
“I don’t have time!”
Watch the video. It is 1 minute long and will show you that you don’t need any extra time to do this.
There are more little things you can do to really get a great recall and they are fun for you. Let me know if you are interested!
Watch the video below then could you do me a favor? Take a video now when you call your dog. Then do this for a week. Take another video and please let me see the difference. 🙂 You can post in the facebook group or send me a link in an email.
Also, JOIN MY FACEBOOK GROUP! We can talk there.